Sunday, August 31, 2014


I could talk about milk, bread, and eggs and prove that we all need a cost of living raise. Any fisking of the .gov's claim of no inflation is just on more lie piled on top of the others.What made think of this is a post over at The Smallest Minority on the topic of the cost of reloading equipment and supplies.

It's a comparison of what it would cost a new reloader to get started with some basic equipment and enough supplies to load some common calibers. Here's the depressing news. What's worse is the unavailability of consumables, but just going on the listed prices for the out-of-stock prices tells the tale.


Tony Tsquared said...

I "scored" a pound of Bullseye at Bass Pro this past week. I got it for about $25. It was the only pistol powder they had. That is about what I paid for 4 pounds about 10 years ago. I had been out of powder for over a year.

MSgt B said...

How can people say there's no inflation at the same time that they're demanding a massive minimum wage hike?

Tim Covington said...

1. Like you said, the government's umber's on inflation are meaningless. This because they removed the biggest expenses for most people (food and energy) because they were "to volatile."
2. The lack of availability and cost for supplies is one reason I've not been shooting or reloading that much. A single range trip could cost me anywhere from $20 to over $100 depending on what I shoot. The range fees are anywhere from $10 (basic rifle and pistol range) to $60 (full round of sporting clays). Then, you have throw in the cost of ammo and gas to go to and from the range. And, I have to hope I can replenish my stock of ammunition when I do this.
I ended up getting a good airsoft replica of my carry pistol so I could at least get in a decent amount of practice with something resembling my carry weapon.

FrankC said...

And for re-loaders, especially those who cast their own bullets, the last lead refinery in the USA has been shut down.

Pity about the auto battery businesses.

R.K. Brumbelow said...

If anyone wants equipment, I can dropship nationwide. Drop me a line, mention Borepatch or ASM826 and I will gladly send you a quote. Plus I will send a percentage to Borepatch for 'supplies'.