Monday, July 14, 2014

Sporterizing II

In the comments on my last post were a couple of good observations.

OpenID newrebeluniv said...
"Nothing lasts forever. I'd rather have a rifle I could shoot than one I had to worry about it's resale value if I scratched it."

Absolutely. I would rather scratch it myself and then stop worrying about it. And if you own and want it to be something different, make it so. Even if I might not do it, it is a tool and if it makes it work for you, replacing a trigger, mounting a scope, replacing a stock, and or rechambering the rifle are all reasonable choices.

I have a corollary that I feel strongly about. Guns should be shot. Unless it's in some way unsafe, putting a gun away and never taking it to the range doesn't fit with what firearms are for me. Collecting beautiful, never fired guns, is for someone else, not me. Even the one gun that came to me from my Grandfather goes to the range.

Glen Filthie said...
The hell of it was that most of those mods were cosmetic and the rifle didn't really shoot much better than the original did.
But I remember those days well. The cool kids were shooting the Weatherbys with their high gloss stocks, white line spacers and inlays. They look cheezy to the modern eye but back then - they were the stuff of dreams. Guys like us didn't have guns like that - they were in the realm of the high rollers with big cash.
At my gun shop the war surps were stored in BARRELS. You came by, picked through the bin to find one that 'looked good' - and went hunting.
Guns in barrels, yes indeed. Pull one out, inspect it, then pull out another. Enfields. Springfields, Mausers, Mosins, Carcanos, and more. Those days are gone, never to be seen again.

My next post just wrote itself. I just need a picture or two to go with it.


newrebeluniv said...

"Those days are gone, never to be seen again."

Been to a gun show lately?

Barrels (crates) of Nagants and SKS from old comminist stocks. Heck, I think I would rather have the crate they came in. Good solid construction. But no way to tell which rifles inside are gold or which are crap.

NotClauswitz said...

We think my Grandpa's Krag was probably bought as just the barreled action, which could be had for about $2.50 back in the mid 40's. He put it in a stock himself, but never got very far with it, another gun captured his fancy more, a P14 Remington in .30-06...which my brother has.

newrebeluniv said...

I took all my toys out of their original wrappings too.