Thursday, July 24, 2014

Guns Magazine Classics 1955 to 1964

Guns Magazine has scanned and posted full copies of some of their magazines from 1955 to 1964. You can pick through and download them as PDF files. Articles about everything, some sort of dated, others as timely as if they were just written. I like the ads and the letters. It's like a window into America people have forgotten.

Pick one and open it up. Come back and share in the comments the most interesting thing you find. We'll make up some posts if it seems worthwhile.


Old NFO said...

OH man, TIME SINK!!! :-)

Borepatch said...

ASM826 once gave me a copy of the May 1945 American Rifleman. Time sing is for damn sure.

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting this, ASM826. It is a fascinating resource.

"Come back and share in the comments the most interesting thing you find."

Well, here are a couple of things from 1955 that jumped out at me:

March - "Guns That Guard a Billion a Day". You couldn't write that article today. First of all, no corporation would give you that kind of access. Because second of all, if they did, they'd be the subject of articles in the "Huffington Post" and "Salon" about how they train their staff to kill poor people and minorities whose only crime is wealth redistribution.

April - "Guns That Killed Presidents". Mostly because I did a recent blog posts on the guns of the presidential assassins, prompted by reading about Garfield and TR. I am still boggled by the fact that Guiteau's revolver is "lost".

July - "My Favorite Gun". Actually, I suspect many of the "My Favorite Gun" entries are interesting, but I'm a big "Dragnet" fan, so reading Jack Webb extolling the virtues of his new S&W 9mm auto piqued my interest.

August - "Why Cops Get Killed". Spoiler: "Gun training is scandalously inadequate in most police departments."

September - "The Fastest Shooter Alive". Ed McGivern is another of my hot buttons. And it seems to me that a lot of these early Guns issues had articles about various fast draw artists.

December - "Last of the Texas Rangers". I think that's a bad title, but Frank Hamer is another one of those historical characters that I'm fascinated by.


Ratus said...

Here is the similar link to the Classic Handgunner Editions of 1976-1984