My son bought an old Mauser. Barrel looks great, finish is still pretty good. It seems like it should be a shooter.
We tried 8mm surplus ammo. Corrosive and inaccurate.
We pulled the bullets. Got new brass, reloaded the bullets over new primers and powder. Cleaner, but still not accurate enough.
We removed and stored the original sights. Replaced them with after-market peep sights. A far better sight picture than the stock sights provided, but not the problem solver.
We have gone further. Over the last few weeks we have cast, sized, lubed, and gas checked a pile of .323 bullets.
Now we are building up some test ammo. The brass has been prepped to the very best of our ability, each load is being weighed. Sets made with enough to chronograph some as well as trying to shoot some groups.
Range report this weekend if the weather cooperates.