Friday, July 11, 2014

And We Scoffed at the Open Carry Guys

The question of what you would have at hand in the event of a rabid deer attack makes me rethink the open carry question. Because the Texas Open Carry movement that created such a stir recently seems a lot more sensible if there's a rabid deer in the parking lot. Why draw a handgun when you've got a full magazine full of .300 Blackout or 7.62x39 loaded in a rifle at the low ready?

It has to do with perceived risk. I have a good sized fire extinguisher on the wall outside the kitchen doorway. I've never needed it and don't expect to need it today. I bought it "in case". If I could know there was going to be a fire in the kitchen on a certain day at a certain time, I would have the fire department standing by with hoses run and charged, I would have all flammable materials removed from the room, a sprinkler system in place, etc.

I think the day to day risk is fairly low, so I have a fire extinguisher, I practice good safety habits when using the stove, and I don't spend time and money on further safety measures.
We all make assessments based on what we think the likelihood of an incident. If I knew I was going to be in a gunfight, I'd stay home. If I had to go out, I would take my advice from the Marines.
• Bring a weapon. Bring a backup weapon. Bring all of your friends who have weapons. Bring their friends who have weapons.
• Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive.
• Only hits count. Close doesn't count. The only thing worse than a miss is a slow miss.
• If your shooting stance is good, you're probably not moving fast enough, nor using cover correctly.
• Move away from your attacker. Distance is your friend. (Lateral and diagonal movement are preferred.)
• In ten years nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance, or tactics. They will only remember who lived and who didn't.
• If you are not shooting, you should be communicating, reloading, and running.
• Accuracy is relative: most combat shooting is more dependent on "pucker factor" than the inherent accuracy of the weapon.
• Use a weapon that works EVERY TIME. "All skill is in vain when an Angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket."
• There are no rules, always cheat; always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.
• Have a plan.
• Have a back-up plan, because the first one won't work.
• Flank your adversary when possible. Protect yours.
• Don't drop your guard.
• Decide to be aggressive ENOUGH, quickly ENOUGH.
If I got up knowing I was going to face a rabid deer in a parking lot, or any other feral animal, I would make different choices about my carry weapons. My last post I asked what you would have with you on a typical day. Here's the next question. If you could have a Minority Report style warning, what would you be carrying when Zombie Bambi came charging across the asphalt?

7 comments:

Old NFO said...

Yep, the Marines have learned the HARD way...

Charles Lee Scudder said...

What do you use for Zombie Bambi? ....airstrike..."only way to be sure"

Dave H said...

If I knew a rabid deer was going to come after me and staying indoors wasn't an option, I'd probably carry my AK-47, with a .45 Colt revolver on my hip. My .45-70 levergun packs a bigger punch but it holds only 4+1 rounds, and reloads are tricky when you're dodging.

juvat said...

What do you use for Zombie Bambi?....B-61Y2

Bob said...

Zombie Bambi? SKS with the bayonet extended for finishing him off, should he survive a full magazine of 7.62x39.

Robert Fowler said...

M-4 with extra mags, 1911 with extra mags and a 12 gauge scoped slug gun JIC.

Scott_S said...

Siaga 12ga with a 20rnd drum filled with slugs.