Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Wadoki Aikido

.45ACP+P asked if what I was doing was Aikido and he is correct. Aikido has a number of different types and schools. I am practicing Wadoki Aikido, a style founded by Roy Suenaka, one of the Founder's young students in Japan in the 1960s. Aikido is not well known, and the only connection I can give most people is that Aikido is what Steven Seagal uses in his movies.

Wadoki Aikido strives to be a martially effective art. Aikido is a hard art to learn, the learning curve is steep and long. I have been putting a lot of time into it for the last seven years and I still have a long way to go. That being said, I have come to a new plateau and I did pass my nidan test (Thanks for asking, Dave).

Our leadership does not want any video of our techniques posted on-line, so I can not show you my test or other techniques. Other styles do not have this restriction. So here is Tissier Sensei, at a demonstration in France. I am sure it was practiced, but I doubt it was choreographed. I know from personal experience that I could attack any of several senior instructors I know any way I wanted, as hard as I wanted, and the only reason the outcome wouldn't be devastating to me is that they were being gentle. I can roll and take falls like his students, but perhaps not with quite the grace being displayed.

 I am sharing this because it will fit in with the firearms posts. It is part of my journey and influences my opinion that it is not enough just to have a gun.

15 comments:

newrebeluniv said...

I can just watch a bunch of Steven Seagal movies and get the same effect. No reason to practice for years.

ASM826 said...

Yes, and you can learn to shoot by watching old Clint Eastwood movies, too.

LoFan John said...

Bravo. As has been said many times over the ages, you can't make an appointment to have an emergency, and you get no choice as to what kind of emergency you have. Serious practice and study may also provide some personal insights (why they call it "do" instead of "jutsu"). If you only serve as a good example, you've also done some social good.

Aaron said...

Congrats on earning a Nidan, it takes a lot of work and is quite the accomplishment.

I did Aikido Yoshinkai for a few years and since went on to Shido Kan Shorin-Ryu.

Borepatch said...

Congratulations on the latest milestone in your journey, ASM826!

3rd degree black belt in Joe Lewis kickboxing system said...

If you think this wasn't choreographed, you are indeed a fool.

3rd degree black belt in Joe Lewis kickboxing system said...

Thank god you have your style has all these defensive techniques against overhand chops. That's authentic street fighting! Idiot.

Borepatch said...

3rd degree, please notice the notice on the comment page: Remember your manners when you post.

ASM826 said...

3rd Degree, his demo might be choreographed, I have no way to know. I have seen open randori, with attackers one on top of another, and know there was no way we had any way to choreograph anything.

The overhead strikes are just a training tool, but you're on the right track. If Aikido has a primary weakness, it is in defense against a trained fighter, one who doesn't come in full on, but jabs and feints. We have a senior instructor that teaches Arnis (Kali, Escrima are similar Filipino arts) just to help with that gap.

I do not pretend that any martial art makes me anything special, I train for fitness and for self defense, pushing myself as much as I can at the age that I am. The very next guy could beat me to death, everyone of us can be beaten.

I also carry concealed whenever and where ever the law allows. I practice with that weapon as well. Those cardboard silhouette targets are about as realistic as an overhead strike, but it's what I have and I make the best of it.

Atom Smasher said...

I did Yoshokai Aikido in Ann Arbor for a few years. I was doing it mainly for fitness and after moving to MPLS drifted away from it. I don't feel like I'm a good fit for the Asian martial arts - there wasn't much of a sense of fun or enjoyment in the karate I dabbled in or the Aikido mentioned above. I know the Yoshokai folks would be horrified that I didn't get the "joy" part of their art, but I felt I learned a lot, and I know they were trying.

Beautiful art, when you get right down to it.

Combined with my fencing in college, I think I've managed to develop a decent sense of timing, distance, and space, but I never really did learn how to throw a good punch. :)

Skip said...

When your a geezer who can't fight or run, a .45 is what it is.

ASM826 said...

I'm with ya, Skip, really I am. And I work to get the laws changed in my location to permit me to carry everywhere, all the time, but it's not currently possible.

Borepatch said...

Skip, The Gun Is Civilization.

And while I can't say that I've ever shot with MAJ Caudill, I have shot with Marko. ;-)

3rd degree black belt in Joe Lewis kickboxing system said...

I wrote a couple of rude comments last night and apologize. I was in a particularly bad mood and was something of an ass. I'm very impressed that nobody took me to task and the couple of responses to my comments were civil. Please accept my apology -- very nice blog you have here.

Borepatch said...

3rd degree, that was spoken like a gentleman. Hope to see you back here again.