Saturday, October 5, 2013

Try before you buy

I stopped by Wow Motorcycles in Marietta today to look at their collection of used bikes.  They had 5 or 6 V-Stroms, and just sitting on the big 1000 version made me think "too much bike, at least for now".  The 650 version is better, but I was on the edge.  Then the guy there said that they didn't just sell bikes, they rent them, too.

Well, now.

So I'm signed up for a 650 version to pick up next Friday evening on a one day rental.  I'll have to figure out where to take it to really try out the handling.  Any suggestions?

I must say that this bike intrigues me:
The V-Strom 650 ABS wears many hats. It’s an entry-level bike, an adventure/tourer, a fun back roads weekend bike, a commuter, an around-towner and, to some extent, an off-road bike.
Sort of a Motorcycle Swiss Army Chainsaw ...

8 comments:

Paul, Dammit! said...

I had a Yamaha FJ600 years ago and it never felt like too much bike. It had plenty of zip but smooth throttle response for cruising-

I may be dating myself here, but I still question the ergonomics of a cruising bike that requires the rider to lean forward and shift the Vertical Center of Gravity from his ass to his belly. I distinctly remember how my parts ached somewhat after an hour or so on the highway.
Looking at the V-Strom, it looks like they've shifted the VCG aft via handlebar shape, but it does look like you'd have a wide stance at the tank. IMO, game out the comfort level at your thighs to see if the width of the base of the tank will effect your leg circulation. The wide leg stance may really improve your righting arm in a turn for better stability, but make sure it's comfortable on your thighs and no-no's for cruising.

This is making me miss riding!

R.K. Brumbelow said...

Go down into "May-retta" into the covered bridge area near the silver comet trail. There are some fun short runs just south of Home Depot Corporate heading towards the east west connector (where you can pick up the sides of Silver Comet) From there, I would start a loop back up to lookout mountain (via 27N), then hit chattanooga and come back down 75 to home. That gives you corners, hills, twists, rough roads, highways, flats and mountains in a short day run. Plus if you have never been to rock city/ lookout mountain it is a treat.

If you want a google map of the route let me know I will send it to you.

Dave H said...

Hmm. Seems to me I need to arrange a trip to Atlanta.

R.K. Brumbelow said...

@Dave H, It is a good time of year for it.

MSgt B said...

Good God.

You've caught the bug. It's worse than the gunnie bug.

Just make sure you save a few bucks for ammo.

Borepatch said...

Dave H, YES.

MSgt B, want to go riding some time? ;-)

BTW, I have a cunning plan for ammo. More on that anon - I'll post, because I believe in sharing with my friends.

Unknown said...

I found my R1200 GS easier to ride than my previous 650. I switched early on - total 1,100 miles on the small bike. For what ever reason people assume bigger is harder, I found it easier. Starting small seems like a good idea if you start really small (150-250) something you can hold up if it starts to fall - but once your moving? I find bigger is easier.

More comfortable on the pavement, more work in the dirt (don't do a lot of dirt).

Spike said...

You have to do the tail of the Dragon.