Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Encrypt everything from your Android phone

You'll need an ssh server, and an ssh app on your phone.  Then everything goes through the encrypted tunnel.  What the article doesn't talk about (but would be entirely possible) is to install a VoIP/SIP telephone client on the phone, to do Voice over IP via the encrypted tunnel.  You'd need an Asterix PBX for that, and a SIP trunk, but a little looking around would probably turn one up.

I'd think that a little futzing around might get this to run over TOR.

At this point, all anyone could get about you is location.  Pretty neat idea, if you want to go that way.  It's not off the grid, and the fact that everything is encrypted might be considered suspicious by some, but even I'm not so jaded and cynical as to think that using only encrypted communications is Probably Cause.

I think that this calls for a more in-depth, step-by-step cookbook ...

6 comments:

Dave H said...

I'e been running a similar setup for bypassing the network blocks at work for several years. My ssh server is a little single-board Linux computer I bought for $100, but any old PC will do. Actually you might even be able to use your home router as the server. (I found an article on how to do it with a WRT54 here.)

OMMAG said...

Did it for the same reasons ... about 5 years ago I transitioned from my home office to a company venue.
So I set up a PC ($6 yard sale) at home to act as the server to my portable devices. Tunnel to the server .. do what you want.

A new wrinkle is that our local cable outfit is setting up wi-fi everywhere within the service area. They are offering a VPN service that gets around the wireless providers and third party players altogether.

Mark/GreyLocke said...

Can I have that in plain english please? It sounds interesting, but I don't use an android phone. I do have a generic android tablet however that I use on trips mostly as a book reader and for my word search game. If I can set it up so it could securely do VOIP or Video Conferencing it would be helpful.

Mark/GreyLocke said...

Can I have that in plain english please? It sounds interesting, but I don't use an android phone. I do have a generic android tablet however that I use on trips mostly as a book reader and for my word search game. If I can set it up so it could securely do VOIP or Video Conferencing it would be helpful.

NotClauswitz said...

I'm gonna have to read that cookbook one of these days if I ever get a smartphone...

Dan said...

Yeah, I need the cookbook, too...