Monday, October 1, 2012

Karma's a bitch

#1 Son quite likes the performer known as "Owl City", having run across his "Fireflys" single a few years back.  I think that the idea of a composer/blogger making music in his parent's basement and hitting the big time through social media is a very interesting story - more interesting than the music, at least to me.



But it doesn't matter.  #1 Son will listen to what he want to, no matter what I think.  And so it's with some amusement that I find his cutting edge pop has turned into Muzak.  "Dancing With The Stars" used this song as their music.  When I pointed this out to #1 Son, he looked like he had thrown up a little in his mouth.

Get used to it, kid.  The great rock 'n roll of my youth is now used to flog merchandise.  Heck, Janet Joplin's iconic Mercedes Benz is being used to sell Mercedes Benz these days.  Irony - it's not just dead, it's lying in the street with tire tracks on its back.  But some people don't sell out.



Trivia: this wi=on MTV's best video of 1989, back when MTV actually played music videos.

4 comments:

Broken Andy said...

I've been listening to one of the local pop stations lately and have been surprized that there are one or two decent songs in the rotation. But most of it is crap.

Though I have to say I remember when Neil Young came out with that song and then, like now, I didn't find it to be that good.

drjim said...

The only thing I noticed in that video, besides the cute girls, is how POORLY the hood fits on that Cougar convertible.

Old NFO said...

LOL, yeah, things have changed... NOT necessarily for the better! And no that hood doesn't fit worth a damn...

Ken said...

I remember all the wailing and gnashing of teeth and rending of robes when the Ramones allowed a song to be used in a beer commercial, and my only thought was "I bet they had a lot easier time getting their money for the beer commercial than they ever did from a label." More power to 'em, I say, and the same goes for the Buzzcocks and their car ad using "What Do I Get?"