Tuesday, October 2, 2012

iOS 6 upgrade:Words to the wise

Someone who is in a position to know emails to say that there are some things about iOS 6 that aren't widely publicized, but which can bite people in the tail end.

1. Macintosh users need to upgrade to Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6.8) before they try to sync their shiny new iPhone 5 - it very well may not sync or activate.  I'm told that the Apple Store can help get you the latest version of OS X, but my experience with #1 Son's Macbook was that we had to order a CD for $20.  This seems important:
I cannot emphasize the following point strongly enough: They cannot upgrade directly to OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion from Tiger or Leopard. They will need to get the Snow Leopard cd from the Apple Online Store; they do not have to upgrade to Mountain Lion if they don't want to, but if they do they can do it from the App Store, which comes with Snow Leopard.
2. Existing iPhone users (3GS, 4, 4S) who want to upgrade to iOS 6 (a dodgy proposition, if you ask me), back up your data.  Use iTunes or iCloud, but get everything on your phone backed up.  All of it - your apps, your photos, music, contacts, everything.  This is a good idea in general, but there seem to be a number of upgrades that have bricked the phone and the only thing to do then is wipe/restore.

3. What is not widely discussed is that sometimes the phone goes into recovery mode while the upgrade is in progress.  If you see the phone display both the iTunes logo and a USB cable.  If you see that, your upgrade failed and you have to do a restore.  At this point, you'll be mad that the upgrade is a pain in the tail end and you probably have to go to the Apple Store, but you'll be happy you backed your data up.

Apple has a couple of articles about backup up your device.  Go to the Apple web site and search for HT4946 and HT1766.

As I said, this is from someone who I think is in a position to know.

4 comments:

perfidy said...

If you get a new iPhone 5, you don't have to plug it in to get it activated, you can do that over wi-fi.

Always backing up is crucial in all cases.

I've had success updating a 3GS and a 4 to iOS6, it seemed to noticeably improve performance on the 3GS. The 3GS did require a restore, but had no problem restoring from backup after that.

Updating to 10.6.8 on the Mac would be a minimum step - if you're running Leopard, that's like running windows ME or something. The current OS is three major releases past that. Once you get Snow Leopard .8 you can go directly to Mountain Lion. Earlier point releases of SN don't have the app store.

Typically, when I get a new phone I start out fresh and just install apps as I need them, it cuts down on the crap that accumulates. FWIW.

ASM826 said...

And, as always kids, remember, it's not a bug, it's a feature!

Barrett said...

I got prompted for the IOS6 upgrade on my iPhone 4. I plugged it in at the house, left it connected to the wireless internetz to download the update, and took the family to the park.

Came back to the Recovery Mode, connect me to iTunes screen. Ended up losing everything on the phone and having to upgrade to iOS6 via iTunes.

It works now, but I basically spent all afternoon yesterday trying to get it fixed, which if I had done it through iTunes and done a backup to begin with, it wouldn't have taken nearly as long to do.

Basically, I was lazy and paid the price for it.

agirlandhergun said...

We did the upgrade and it messed up both our phones. I got fed up, was due for an upgrade and got a Droid:) I am not as smart as you folks, so for me the iphonenwas a constant pain.