Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Don't let it hit you in the rear end, Progressives trying to act like normal people

We used to subscribe to Garden & Gun magazine, back up in Yankeeland at Chez Borepatch.  Now, Sports Firings lets us know that it's on the skids.

Quite frankly, this looks like incompetence.  The idea that they couldn't find advertisers willing to target 90 million gun owners with an upscale, glossy "Southern Living" type magazine suggests that their sales departments should be fired.  Theirs was an interesting niche, highly differentiated against a whole lot of bland "meh" competitors.  And they blew it.

And actually, they blew it pretty much from the beginning.  The guns were all $12,000 (and up) well heeled over/under shotguns, and while those are very nice indeed, there's more to the gunnie world than that.  There's more to the upscale gunnie world than that.  They did have quite a good chicken pot pie recipe once, though.  Not enough.

We let our subscription lapse years ago, before they seem to have gotten into financial difficulties.  I won't miss 'em when they're gone.

8 comments:

ZerCool said...

Huh. Not shocking, for all the reasons you pointed at. I enjoyed reading it in the Smallest Room, but haven't missed it since our subscription lapsed.

Paladin said...

One of the Doctors that Mrs. Paladin works for had a subscription - which is odd because they aren't gun people. He gave it to her every month because he figured we would enjoy it. I looked through the first mag she brought home and never bothered after that.

Anonymous said...

Hi Borepatch - I generally am not that enthralled with political music, but this one has a good beat, you can dance to it and it is fun.

(I think this might come thru as an actual link...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mzHAlwEK7a4#!

If not, it is on youtube, of course and the name is 'Blame it on Bush' by The Voters.

Fair Winds... And Lots of Ammo!

Cap'n Jan

B322 said...

I wish I had a $12,000 shotgun.

I'd sell it and pay my mortgage and heating-oil bills for a year. Oh, and buy a cool gun.

Matt L. said...

I was always waiting for the spin-off publication, Home & Howitzer.

Charles Lee Scudder said...

I got my free sub a year ago, didn't renew. Most articles were poorly researched when it came to the hunting aspect. This coming from a non hunter, the article on hunting dogs was the last straw. Add in your previous covering of stupid ad department, and generally a overpriced vacuum article collection. I'll go with backwoods home magazine.

Angus McThag said...

We had a subscription here for a while.

I was reminded of the Simpson's magazine, "Faberge Egg Collector" on the rare occasions it was about guns.

Places you will never go, doing things you cannot afford with people you will never meet monthly magazine.

Broken Andy said...

"Places you will never go, doing things you cannot afford with people you will never meet monthly magazine."

I've never read it, but that was always my suspicion of the content.