Friday, August 31, 2012

Wolfgang


It's been a long time since I've had a German Shepherd, nearly twenty years.  For a while, it was too soon, and Jack held a place too special in my heart to even think about another.  Then we had small kids, then I was traveling all the time.  Then life got disrupted like I had never imagined it could, and that's no place to bring a puppy.  Then I was in Austin for a year.  An apartment is no place for a puppy to be all day long.

But now I'm back, and not traveling very much.  I live close enough to the office that I can get home at lunch to let him out.  And Wolfgang is four months old - we'll see how well housebroken he is, but I'm not expecting problems.

He seems quite friendly, very laid back, which is in great contrast to his brother who would jump up on you and nip at your trouser cuffs.  Not good - Bear needs to be de-bounced.  But Wolfgang is so relaxed that he napped on the drive back to Camp Borepatch.  He's had quite a big day - his brother and older sister came trotting after the Jeep as we drove away.  The loyalty of the breed is one thing that I love, and in fact see in myself, and so while it was sad to see (they'll not see him again) it was a reminder of why we so love our four pawed companions.

It's been a big day for him - he was raised on a farm, and despite the breeder's best efforts needed a flee bath.  Not fun, although he bore it with a stoic dignity that once again reminded me of why I love this breed.

He's as big already as Ivan the Terrier who seems happy to have another dog in our pack - he's seemed like he's missed little One Eyed Dog quite a bit, and so hopefully this will fill some of that void.  Crash the Wondercat seems less than pleased  (Do not want!) but Crash is as laid back as Wolf seems to be.  We'll know in a few days.

Watching him nap reminds me of my Jack, though.  It's an interesting feeling to have my own dog once again - Ivan the Terrier is a good ol' dog, but he's the family's.  It's good to feel like I finally can have my own dog, after all these years.

8 comments:

Keads said...

Right handsome pup you got right there!

agirlandhergun said...

Ahh, he is handsome!

Anonymous said...

Makes me remember my buddy Fritz, who died about three years ago. He was a cowardly jackass compared to some of the other dogs, and when he got worked up he completely lost control of himself. And then there was the early hip dysplasia thing. But he was also the only one who really cared what I thought about him. Utterly devoted within his limits, and that's a trait that happens much more often in fiction than real life. He once snuck up and bit a cop, just because he could see that I didn't like the guy.

And there's no dog on earth more beautiful than a Shepherd.

kx59 said...

Awesome BP!
I thought the "farm" is where dogs went, rather than came from...when they "disappeared".

Dave H said...

I thought the "farm" is where dogs went, rather than came from...when they "disappeared".

That's how they get there so people like Borepatch can adopt them.

Old NFO said...

PURTY! Damn, now "I" want another one... sigh

Six said...

Congratulations PB. That young man just won the doggie lottery!!

Rabbit said...

What a great great dog! Congratulations!