Thursday, August 2, 2012

Lucky Man

Sometimes what you'd like to hear comes out of a clear, blue sky.  That happened to me yesterday.

My life as an adult I've tried hard to be a good husband and father.  You sacrifice to give your family what you'd like them to have, and that has sometimes come at a cost.  You're away on business when they take their first steps.  You're away when they go to their first Military Ball.  You do it because that's what needs doing.  You do it whether anyone notices.

It seems that they do.  Last night we were talking with the kids about memories from their past.  I forget how it came up, but it did.  #1 Son said it, casually, and out of the blue:


You're a great Dad.

You keep having to focus on what you say and how you act around your kids, because you know (in theory) that it's important what you do for your family.  Sometimes, if you're lucky, you learn that it's not just theory.

I'm a lucky man.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Treat your kids like sporadic biological tape-recorders... You never know what they are going to remember,

Doesn't mean you can't be a firm/strict/hard-assed Dad, but always try to behave in an honourable manner, as though your obituary will be written from the event.

As a (now 62 year old) child of a Great Dad, I remember times we talked about Significant Events from when I was growing up. He remembered things that HE thought were significant that I couldn't remember at all. And of course, the reverse was true... But we had many, many keepsake memories to share.

So those tape reels may be spinning when you least expect it.

Fair Winds and Following Seas

Cap'n Jan
Austin

Coop said...

Well done... I try to act like I am being watched because, as a father of four, I often am...although sometimes I fail, I like to think I'm doing an OK job.

I guess time will tell, I hope that some day I'll be as lucky as you.

Anonymous said...

From a son and a teenager that is hard won praise indeed. Usually most fathers during that time period are embarrassing and/or an a*****e according to the precious darlings.
Thankfully I have a daughter who has always referred to me as being cool mainly because of my accent.

Old NFO said...

Nice! :-) Mine 'finally' told me that about 5 years ago!!!