Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Calling all true Sons and Daughters of Texas

Erin Palette has a project that's worth your while:
I know a young mother who needs a carry pistol and training to defend herself and her child from violence, but cannot afford either. In her own words:
I work in downtown Houston where there's a large homeless population. Some of these people are crazy, some are people who just got out of Houston county jail (they're dropped off at the greyhound two blocks from our store) and I get into work sometimes at 4:45, or leave at 7pm. Both times have me coming and going when there's no one around. I get SO paranoid about someone trying to attack me, and I'd feel better carrying a gun.

Also, we have issues with my "sperm donor", whom I'm thinking may get stupid one day and show up and try to take E. If he does...


My husband met me when I was 4 months pregnant, and we've been together ever since. My "sperm donor" is an asshole who only contacts me when he's pissed or off his meds. When he's off his meds he's really aggressive and, well, an asshole. Again, another reason to keep a gun. 

Money is really tight right now, so getting a gun soon (within 90 days) won't happen, but I'll live. I have a "war club" that I keep, and I have people walk me to and from my car/garage.
I realize I may be pushing my luck in asking for donations not three months after you folks helped me buy my pistol, but this is a really good cause. If anything, she needs a CCW more than I do.

I plan to run a fundraiser to help her buy a pistol (unless someone wants to step forward and donate, which while highly unlikely would be amazingly awesome) but right now I'd like to find out if there's anyone in the area who is willing to donate time and energy to help her through the paperwork of CCW, find out which gun is right for her, and offer her training for free or at a reduced rate.

This is a simply outstanding idea. Especially if you're in Texas, stop by Erin's site for more details.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

So let me get this straight a woman whose judgment is shaky at best hence the unstable ex boyfriend wants to go around armed. So she can shoot his ass the first time he looks like upsetting her. Please by all means if you feel like being party to a future manslaughter/murder go ahead. This is not going to end well either way.
Why does no one question the sanity of women who get involved with bad crazy men?
If you really want to help people like this campaign to have state mental hospitals rebuilt instead of dumping them on the streets where they could harm her.

Erin Palette said...

@ Knottedprop: Kindly go piss up a rope.

@ Borepatch and the rest of you sensible folk: an update may be found here.

Borepatch said...

Knottedprop, over on these shores we don't like to take people's rights away unless they've been adjudicated to be untrustworthy (criminal felony or committed by a court of law to a mental facility).

People do irresponsible but legal (and non crazy) things all the time, and that should not disqualify them from the ability to protect themselves. After all, the Police is demonstrably incapable of protecting them - remember the London riots of last summer?

I'm quite sympathetic to the thought that de-institutionalizing the mentally ill was a mistake of epic proportions. However, that doesn't change the reality that the young lady finds herself in.

Erin Palette said...

Also, she didn't know he was crazy at the time. Nor did she know she was pregnant until he went off his meds and had a nice little bender.

Maybe not the best life decision, but we all make mistakes. She's married to a good man now and is utterly committed to protecting her daughter, so I'm going to judge her by who she is and not who she was.

Anonymous said...

Erin Palette of course the women are never to blame in a relationshipn are they, they have no choice? In her case she is nervous around strangers and around her ex at some point her poor judgment aka the ex is going to lead her shooting someone. Why not recommend a less lethal solution a taser or a low caliber weapon?
Or better still something that could kill a bull elephant at a thousand yards I'm sure that's what you have in mind?
I have no objections to people carrying guns but if this goes wrong hell awaits your good intentions.
Also childish insults make me laugh please try better.

Anonymous said...

Borepatch I'm all for people carrying guns because 99% of the time most people are sane and would only use them in self defense. However the woman in question needs serious safety instruction and some counseling before arming her is appropriate. She is way too paranoid and nervous. The crazies down town are harmless for the most part I used to live next door to an open mental hospital and it was the safest place in the world. They may be frightening but will not kill anyone.
My concern is legitimate if she feels she can resort to a gun first, some crazy person may get shot asking for a new fish umbrella.
As for the London riots that was an excuse for renta mob to loot the stores as per usual, yet here in the USA you have a Federal government responsible for Waco and Ruby Ridge. Which is worse a riot for mere theft or murder?

Anonymous said...

Erin Palette mental illness has a genetic component pray her daughter doesn't suffer the same. Pray a lot.

Borepatch said...

knottedprop, we'll have to agree to disagree (I'm afraid that I disagree with almost all of your points here).

Ken O said...

We all have a past. This woman has committed no breach of the peace and has not been adjudicated defective. Two: No one has mentioned or advised "resorting to a gun first". Kindly refrain from hyperbole and stay in reality. Three: I used to live in that area and walk from 2016 Main to work at 1100 Louisianna in my suit and tie. There were times when even as a 5'11" 185# man I was made uncomfortable by aggressive pan handlers who followed me along my route, harassing me. I can see where a woman could feel threatened. Four: The Unstable Ex. Given the statistics on assaults and murders committed against women by their former romantic interests this is a viable threat. Five: Carrying a defensive firearm, as any rational individual knows, comes with tremendous responsibility. It is a last resort, an insurance policy against falling victim to the worst parts of society. It certainly is more effective than that useless paper called a "restraining order".

Mulligan said...

1- identifying the problem.
2- seeking appropriate help.
3- finding a solution.
4- getting proper tools & training.

seems spot on to me.