Wednesday, April 4, 2012

One year

It was a year ago that I started my current job. I was told to head to the airport to fly to the company's big annual meeting in Orlando. When I got there they gave me a PowerPoint slide deck and told me that I was briefing the sales force the next day because I was "the security guy".

Hi, guys.

I'm here again, a year later. This time I have my own slide deck. I have to say, it's a fun job - other than the whole being away from home for nine months - the company is growing like gangbusters, everyone likes the "here's what our security strategy should be and why", and working from Atlanta will be fine. I mean, we do video conferencing and everything.

But I'm too old to be drinking with the sales teams until 2 AM. Yowzer.

Posting wont be so sporadic today, but will probably take a couple days to get back to normal.

4 comments:

Teke said...

Although every now and then it is a good thing to do. Just to push our limits and comfort zone. The next morning to be able to say ouch, yep I can still do it.

Southern Belle said...

LOL... lightweight!

Be very careful of those sales folks, they are a bad influence!

Dave H said...

Be very careful of those sales folks, they are a bad influence!

No kidding. My brother was the IT guy for a place that had an annual sales meeting for their international people. He was always required to attend, and made friends with the South American sales manager. They spent one evening passing a bottle of tequila back and forth between them. The next day the manager didn't show for the meeting, and when they checked at the hotel he was so sick he had to go to the hospital. Turned out he had cholera.

My brother asked his doctor if he was in any danger and the doc said, "No, there's no cholera organism that can survive a good tequila. It was good tequila, wasn't it?"

Anonymous said...

I sand bag the blighters BP and you should too. It's my favourite trick: You take a beer and sip at it and nurse it until about 1:00 AM or so...and THEN you start pounding them. 4 beers later you are mildly buzzed - and they are almost camatose!

And there is something equally satisfying and repulsive about the pain, and the sour stink and the reek that comes off those guys the next morning. Finish them off with the chipper, cheerful attitude - and they will think you're indestructable!

Respect has its charms - but fear and loathing from your coworkers is something to be prized and cherished as well!