Thursday, March 8, 2012

Optimism

Optimism gets a bad name.  Oscar Wilde famously said that if you pretend to be good the world takes you seriously, while if you pretend to be bad it doesn't, and thus optimism is a silly thing indeed.  Now admittedly, Wilde had much less reason to be optimistic at my age than I - and had in fact been dead for seven years then.

But I find myself increasingly optimistic.  My step is light, my eye is bright.  It's not just a great meet up last night with kx59 for dinner.  It's not having just had a great time with Mom.  It's not just the reality that I'll be home with the family soon.  It's not even the upcoming Dallas area April blogshoot, who looks to be awesome.

No, it's a feeling that the wind has shifted for the Republic.  The tide has turned.  Wolfwalker in the comments to a post yesterday has seeded a new uber post, but one blessedly free of the optimism and ranting that have been so appallingly evident here lately.  That will come presently, but let me offer a heart felt thank you to Wolfwalker.  His comments have an astonishing ability to trigger some of my best thinking.  Thank you, my friend.





I know tomorrow you'll find better things.
I'm an optimist in the sense that I believe humans are noble and honorable, and some of them are really smart. I have a very optimistic view of individuals.
- Steve Jobs

3 comments:

libertyman said...

Then, your heart is in the trim!

Anonymous said...

I am almost certain that TPTB will find a way to remove our firearms from us.

Anonymous said...

The foundation of every state is the education of its youth.....Diogenes