Saturday, February 4, 2012

Remember

Old NFO tells us that it is Band of Brother's day, and posts with humility on his service:
To the cool men that have touched my life. Here's to you!!! I was never a hero, but I am thankful I served among them.

A real Brother walks with you when the rest of the world walks on you.
 Amen, Brother.  His post reminds me of the humility so often on display by heros who did simply indescribable  feats:



The quote, of course, is from Shakespeare, in perhaps the greatest of all the great Bard's works:



If you haven't watch the Kevin Branaugh "Henry V", get thee hence with all speed.  It is perhaps the manliest of manly films, from perhaps the manliest of all highbrow plays.  And I don't say that mockingly; defiance combined with recognition of their situation make this inspiring beyond words:
We are but warriors for the working-day;
Our gayness and our gilt are all besmirch'd
With rainy marching in the painful field;
But, by the mass, our hearts are in the trim;

Herald, save thou thy labour;
Come thou no more for ransom, gentle herald:
They shall have none, I swear, but these my joints;
Which if they have as I will leave 'em them,
Shall yield them little ..
I posted before on this, on Shakespeare, the 503rd, and on our heroes today in Afghanistan.

Thanks to all our heroes, on this day and on all days.

UPDATE 4 February 2012 21:25: All out heroes.


Via Theo.

3 comments:

45er said...

This kind of thing makes me misty. It's been an emotional day in gunbloggerdom.

Old NFO said...

Thanks for the link AND the expansion of the post! Well Done Sir!

Secesh said...

Though I haven't served, I'm proud and grateful to those that have. God bless our service men and women.