Saturday, January 7, 2012

Connection

Things change a lot in 75 years, and a lot has changed for the better.  This great old song never fails to make me cringe:



The casual racism of the 1940s is on full display.  Boy (certainly referring to a fully grown man).  You can give me a shine.  We've come a long way in those decades.

I say this not to put down those who lived then - different times, and I am a product of mine, not theirs.  Rather, it's to recognize that as a product of my own time, there are parts of theirs that I don't mind seeing fall by the wayside.

But the connection is still there.  Music today also contains the echo of the steel rails and the power of the locomotive.  It's just been updated a little.



Thanks to RobertaX for kicking over a trip down memory lane today.

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Both good songs, IN THEIR TIMES... That is the key point...