Saturday, December 31, 2011

Well, that was something I didn't expect.

People saying nice things about my marksmanship.  (The post title was my idea)

Even Jay shows up to say something nice.  Nice way to end the year, I must say.

And this is a good time to say that it was cool shooting at 200 yards (and even cooler hitting a paper plate at 200 yards - iron sights, baby!).  And so, my gunnie New Year's resolutions:

I resolve to finally go to Appleseed to learn real shooting.  Dad qualified as "Expert" at Uncle Sam's Summer Camp, and so I have a high bar to, err, aim for.  I'll take #2 Son, if he wants.

I resolve to figure out just where my Enfield is zeroed.  It hits dead on at 100 yards, but it appears that the bullet is still rising then.  It was shooting high at 200 yards, so learning where it shoots is something that I have to do.

I resolve to start reloading .303 at least.  If anyone knows someone getting out of reloading who might sell their kit, let me know.

I resolve to start proper training, meaning the same shooting exercises (with scores kept and mistakes analyzed).  Regularly.  Jay and ASM826 were very kind, but the fact of the matter is that I'm a duffer on the range.  I don't actually mind being a duffer, don't get me wrong, just that I'd like to be a more skilled duffer.  How do you get to Carnegie Hall?  Practice.

I'd like to say that I'll get a Garand.  I'm getting #1 Son's tuition paid, so that one may have to wait.

I'd also like to say that I'll get up to the Knob Creek machine gun shoot, but until I'm done bouncing back and forth along I-20 between Atlanta and Austin, we'll have to wait and see.

So, what are your Gunnie resolutions for 2012?

14 comments:

bluesun said...

I need a scope for my new rifle, and I need a membership to the gun club, and then I resolve to gain proficiency at 300 yards, the maximum range there. And an Appleseed would be a good thing to get to as well, considering I even have my 10/22 all set up as a LTR.

Anonymous said...

Pretty much the same: go to Appleseed, practice more regularly. I'll hold off on reloading right now, that's why I chose 5.56 and 9mm to be my staples. They are cheaper to buy then reload (cost of my time).

Wolfman said...

My resolution is to shoot more (always). Also, to give my beautiful wife some trigger time on stuff other than the 10/22. She expressed an interest, so I need to get something going there. I think some light target loads in the 12ga, and shoot some clays. if you are reloading .303 I recommend the 180 gr spitzer from Sierra (my lend/lease savage doesn't like RN bullets). It seems like rrloading choices are thin for .311 bullets, but pills for the Russian 7.62s also shoot well in mine. Good luck!

ajdshootist said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ajdshootist said...

Have sent you an email you might find useful. AJD

TinCan Assassin said...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/423081/lee-challenger-breech-lock-single-stage-press-anniversary-kit

Six said...

Competition. Every year I swear I'm going to find the time and start competitive shooting.

2012 for sure. I swear.

Dave H said...

The only resolution I ever kept was to quit making resolutions. So far, so good.

My plans for the coming year are to get more firearms training, including training to be an instructor. Recent news reports indicate gun ownership is on the increase, and it's up to us to show people how to handle their guns responsibly. (Otherwise the government will have to do it, and we know how well that works.)

NotClauswitz said...

Is there a CMP Club near you? There really ought to be, given your location, here's the list for Georgia. It makes practice SO much easier when one has a regularly scheduled event-thing to attend, and competition simply follows - and you can treat competition like Practice.

DaddyBear said...

I'm going to make use of my new range membership and start going to their bi-weekly mid-week shooting contests. I'm also going to get myself and Girlie Bear into an Appleseed.

And when you get up here for Knob Creek, let me know and we'll meet up.

jetaz said...

To buy a modern military pattern rifle.

Chris said...

FN-FAL. This is the year.

Anonymous said...

Watch very carefully for incipient head separations when reloading .303 British. Check your head space, too, and see what bolt-head you have. If you are already at a #4 bolt head, you are at the max take-up already. For full-house loads, I find that I can only reload .303 British 2x before the head separates, if I full-length resize and load full power rounds.

Another .303 British load worth trying is Ed Harris' "The Load", which is 13 grains of Red Dot in any full-size .30-caliber round. Works very well with 7.62x39 bullets loaded in .303 British cases. Cases last much, much longer with this load, much longer than with full-power loads, in .303 British. YMMV.

Regards,
GB

RobertSlaughter said...

I would also like to do an Appleseed this year.

Also note: participation in Appleseed allows one to obtain a Garand through the CMP, which run from $525 up.