Tuesday, December 6, 2011

I gotcher "jobs Amerians won't do" right here, Scooter

Via Foseti (your go-to guy on how Regulators tick), Simon Grey swings the cluebat of enlightenment shattering the canard about jobs our unemployed seem to have no appetite for:

It looks like that canard is just plain wrong:

Unemployment rates have fallen in Alabama amid new legal pressure on companies to comply with a popular immigration reform law.

...
As I’ve written before, illegal labor and minimum wage don’t go together because illegal labor prices legal labor out of the market.  This is very simple economics.  If you increase supply of something without increasing demand, prices will drop.  And, if there is some sort of price floor in that market (think minimum wage), then that which has a price floor will be priced out at the margin.  Therefore, when you decrease supply of something while demand remains stagnant, price will rise and marginal purchases will occur again.  Incidentally, that’s precisely what happened in Alabama, and that’s what should happen in every state.

If there are any governors who might be squeamish about the idea of booting illegals back to the third-world, dirt-ridden country from which they came, let me offer you three benefits, beyond the simple reduction in unemployment rates, for your consideration.
Click through to RTWT, but it is entirely devastating, although quite unemotional and reasoned.  Theory meets data, and data once again kicks theory's butt.

But this is statistics, and Stalin was right when he said that one death was a tragedy but a million deaths was a statistic.  We need to bring the tragedy to the discussion, so we don't forget the lives being crushed by the open borders policy of both Dinosaur political parties.  Art connects on a more emotional level, telling us about the man, as opposed to the collective.



If you click through to Youtube, you'll see comments like this:
Got outsourced again. Moved 700 miles to drive a harvester for my father in law 18 hours a day at half of what I used to make but I got to feed my family and would work more if there were hours enough to do it. Nearly shed a tear when I hear this song because it sounded so much like me when I asked for the work and feel lucky I got it.

You'd think that this canard would collapse under the weight of thousands of unemployed showing up to apply for a dozen openings.  The data is clear.

I guess some people would rather have their beautiful theory.  You know, there was once a time when the Democratic Party gave a damn about the working class.  That was when I used to be a Democrat.

And while you're over at his place, check out the proposed States Sovereignty Amendment.  Yeah, baby.

5 comments:

NotClauswitz said...

I can't get a job pot-washing in California unless I speak Spanish, or work in "landscaping" either...
A lot of this work/labor issue is a form of regulatory capture.

Quizikle said...

For some reason or another, it's not only OK - it seems to be necessary - to discriminate against Americans - by Americans. Not whites, blacks, greens, or purples...just any and all Americans.

Norm Matloff at UC-Davis has a long-running commentary (against) regarding the corporate world's "need" for increased H1-B visas in spite of high unemployment among technical skills: "We can't find the right people" argument

http://heather.cs.ucdavis.edu/h1b.html
Q

Paul, Dammit! said...

I get slammed on facebook when associates sympathetic to 'occupy' idealism discover my disdain. My standard post to the 'no jobs' pablum is that there's a huge labor shortage in the maritime trade, with a starting salary for a 14 day on/off rotation starting at $50k/yr with full benefits for an unskilled deckhand.

Conversely, since 90% of my wife's friends and family are illegals, I get to see things from the other side, as well. They work an average 50hr week, and never, ever are out of work. Their take on the Occupy Trustifarians is comical- mostly shock that the movement isn't an anti-illegal protest, and then disdain when they discovered that it was about staying unemployed solely out of pride.

Borepatch said...

Paul, thanks for the perspective. The Occupy idiots are not the ones standing in long lines at Job Fairs. There are plenty of folks who are ready, willing, and able to work.

I hadn't known about the deck hand thing, though. Seems like good money.

Anonymous said...

I just checked my stats and saw a spike in traffic over the last couple of days, a good portion of which is due to you. Thanks for linking.