Sunday, December 4, 2011

I don't think I'll eat again this week

Uncle Jay and I met for dinner at the Elite Grille in Waco.  Not only is it a historical Texas Roadhouse (dating to the 1930s), we got chicken fried steak that was roughly the size of Luxembourg.  Wow, it was good, but so much for my "Holiday diet" ...

But it's always an outstanding time with Uncle Jay who has been to a lot of interesting places (more even than I) and who was a corresponding supply of excellent stories (more even than I).

And on the way out, it was slow in the restaurant (we ate early, and so were leaving before the dinner rush) and so we chatted with the waiters and waitresses.  Jay asked them what really bugged them about what diners sometimes do, and the hostess gave a reply that made me think on my rant earlier today about Der Spiegal:
I hate it when they think I'm dumb because I have a job in a restaurant.  I'm going to College, and this helps pay the bills.
Yup.  Don't underestimate the American working class.

No comments: