Wednesday, December 7, 2011

I don't know what to make of Newt

He's slippery.  He's flip flopped a lot over the years, like Romney.  He has the biggest ego in Washington D.C., and that's saying a lot.

And he brings the hammer to the Progressives like nobody else:
Chris Byrne has a set of videos up on his site that are worth your while. It's Newt Gengrich giving a speech on how the Republicans can not just win, but sweep the coming elections. Chris comments:
I think he's brilliant as a political writer, and political commentator (which is fitting, because his background is as a history professor), but as a politician, he and I are probably below 50% in agreement on major policy issues.

But we're above 75% on major issues of principle; and that's what this speech is about. Taking principles, and making them into politics.... Something it seems most politicians are too cowardly to do.
(*cough* Mitt Romney *cough*) You should click through to Chris' place, where he has all the videos up, but here's one:



Newt gets the Big Picture.  As I said back then:
Focus gives you a more interesting, more valuable product for your target market. But focus isn't free. To gain something, you have to give up something. As Napoleon said, on any battlefield there will be a single decisive point. What happens there is more important than what happens everywhere else.
But Newt's slippery.  As Chris said, we're probably aligned on 75% of the issues of principle.  Probably.  How do you tell?  DancingCzars brings Newt's interview by Glen Beck (also not my favorite tele-personality, but may cover the 75%).  It's long, and detailed, and Beck asked tough questions about flip flopping.  Newt was somewhat slippery.  Somewhat.

Huey Long was famous for his saying that to get anything done in Louisiana, you had to pay him 10% off the top, but that was the best deal you'd ever see.  I can actually go along with that, if it buys be that 75%.  But will it?

I don't know.  But I do think that Chris' old post (from two years back) is well worth reading, as is mine, as is another of my posts on Newt from then.

All politicians are flawed, and to expect otherwise is a fool's errand (or a child's).  Newt may be fatally flawed; the jury's still out, at least with me.  But it's possible that his flaws are transparent, and that he would be the anti-Obama: entirely, thoroughly, and viciously vetted by the MSM, but one who can set priorities that count, and get them executed.

10 comments:

Broken Andy said...

I guess you are like me, and trying to talk yourself into voting for Newt if it comes to that. What a sad place we find ourselves in!

My only hope is that the Internet gives the base a tighter a feedback loop for people like Newt, and the course corrections can be made faster when he becomes more like Newt and less like our leader.

North said...

"I don't know what to make of Newt" I have a recipe that calls for one of his eyes.

Paladin said...

I'm still considering Newt myself. Flip flopping is irritating to me. I don't generally discount a candidate if the change is a just a "flip" rather than a "flip flop", though.

I heard someone quote Ghandi once. Apparently Ghandi changed his position on some issue and a reporter asked him how he could reconcile having a different stance on something now, when last week he was at the other end of the spectrum. Ghandi replied something along the lines of, "Because this week I know more than I knew last week".

I'm prepared to be cool with that. Ronald Reagan was once a Democrat, after all. I myself once held views quite different than the ones I hold now. Its the switching sides frequently for political expedience that I have a problem with in my potential candidates.

Broken Andy said...

I'd like to +1 Paladin's comment.

Rev. Paul said...

When Newt first surfaced on Glenn Beck's show a couple of years ago, he was touting his video about Ronald Reagan, which I later purchased out of curiosity. It wasn't anything special, nor did it really highlight the Reagan qualities that I've told my daughters about.

But what bothered me then (and now) is Newt's apparent appeal to recognize him as someone special simply because he knew Ronnie.

That's not enough. Newt's an opportunist, and just because he knows what to say now doesn't make him someone I can trust. I don't know whether that will change between now and Nov. '12.

Atom Smasher said...

I know what to think of him - he's unelectable.

K said...

I'm right there with you. I'm having a hard time bringing myself to vote for him (if given the chance), but I have to agree that he's at least better than what we've got now.
I've got some problems with the morality of his personal history, but as you said... he's a politician. Those things just come along for the ride. Just as I never cared about who Clinton decided to play Hide The Weasel with, I likewise can't care about Newt's affairs and other personal problems.
I must say, though... if he represents the best of what the R's can nominate, they've got some serious problems.

TOTWTYTR said...

You guys drive me crazy. No Republican is pure enough for you.

Yeah, we'll be much better off with four more years of Obama in a position to make law by executive order, keep Eric Holder on doing the bang up job upholding the Constitution and of course appointing more good conservative judges to SCOTUS.

That last is the most important.

At this point no white knight is going to come in to rescue the Republican party and be the perfect nominee.

Do you want everyone's crazy uncle (Ron Paul)?

How about Huntsman? Who?

It going to come down to Newt or Romney at this point.

Neither is perfect, but either will be a lot closer to it than the guy in the White House right now.

Focus my friends, because if Obama wins another four, we are screwed.

Kiss your guns goodbye, kiss your economy goodbye, kiss your retirement goodbye. Oh, and kiss health care that views you as anything other than an annoyance goodbye.

An Obama without having to worry about re-election is the scariest thing I can imagine. With or without a Republican House and Senate.

North said...

TOTWTYTR: With a single term I see Obama as the worst president of the United States.

With two terms I see Obama as the last president of what was once the United States.

W W Woodward said...

Vote for Newt or Romney, we end up with the same as we already have, just a different name.

People who put party before We The People. Vote for the lesser of evils and we still end up with evil.

Ron Paul is the only alternative.

[W3]