Saturday, December 31, 2011

Hank Williams - I'll Never Get Out Of This World Alive

New Year's is a time for reflection, on the past and the future.  A time to look back at the previous year to glean such wisdom as we can from its highs and lows.  A time to search our souls and resolve to be better - or at least different - in the new year.

Well, for some of us, anyway.

On New Year's Eve 1952 (or possibly early New Year's Day 1953), Hank Williams, Sr. met his date with destiny, in the back seat of his Cadillac.  While facts are hard to come by, Hank had lived a fast life, getting kicked out of the Grand Ole Opry because of his boozing.  It's possible that booze was involved that last night, outside Canton, Ohio.  He was only 29.

Ironically, Hank's last hit was this one, I'll Never Get Out Of This World Alive.  Somehow, it seems fitting for New Year's reflection: we, too, will one day meet our own fate.  What will we leave behind?  What would we change before that final day?  Worthy questions.



I'll Never Get Out Of This World Alive (Songwriters: Fred Rose, Hank Williams)
Now you're lookin' at a man that's gettin' kind a mad
I had lot's of luck but it's all been bad
No matter how I struggle and strive
I'll never get out of this world a live.

My fishin' pole's broke the creek is full of sand
My woman run away with another man
No matter how I struggle and strive
I'll never get out of this world alive.

A distant uncle passed away and left me quite a batch
And I was livin'g high until that fatal day
A lawyer proved I wasn't born
I was only hatched.

Ev'rything's agin' me and it's got me down
If I jumped in the river I would prob'ly drown
No matter how I struggle and strive
I'll never get out of this world alive.

These shabby shoes I'm wearin' all the time
Are full of holes and nails
And brother if I stepped on a worn out dime
I bet a nickel I could tell you if it was heads or tails.

I'm not gonna worry wrinkles in my brow
'Cause nothin's ever gonna be alright nohow
No matter how I struggle and strive
I'll never get out of this world alive.

I could buy a Sunday suit and it would leave me broke
If it had two pair of pants I would burn the coat
No matter how I struggle and strive
I'll never get out of this world alive.

If it was rainin' gold I wouldn't stand a chance
I wouldn't have a pocket in my patched up pants
No matter how I struggle and strive
I'll never get out of this world alive.
May you all have a happy and reflective New Year's Even celebration, and a happy and healthy New Year.

2 comments:

Guffaw in AZ said...

You, too, my friend!

Toaster 802 said...

Happy New Year Borepatch. See your starting things out right with a little range time.