Saturday, November 5, 2011

Trent Willmon - Home Sweet Holiday Inn

I've traveled a lot at work, for the last fifteen years or so, and this has led to a lot of time away from home.  The "Glamor of travel" mostly isn't very glamorous, and doesn't make up for the time you missed baby's first steps, or a concert of Little League game.

But life goes on, and duty calls.  By the time this posts, I'll be in Alabama, heading west on I-20.  It's not a hotel room waiting, but FOB Borepatch, but it doesn't have family there.

But close your eyes and pretend, and count the days until the travel ends.  At least for a little while.

Trent Willmon is a Texas singer/songwriter, who released this song on his eponymous 2004 album.



Home Sweet Holiday Inn (Songwriters: Chris Stapleton, Jameson Clark, Trent Willmon)
Exit 65, Room 232
It's nothing fancy, ain't much of a view
It's no white house with picket fences
But we close our eyes and pretend
At our home sweet Holiday Inn
Wish I could keep you,
But it's out of my hands
It's best that I can do,
I pray you'll understand
How much I love you, God I feel guilty
So I try to make amends
At our home sweet Holiday Inn

 I just get a couple of days
To steal you away
Make up for all the time
I missed
And I hope that we can fit it all in
At our home sweet Holiday Inn

You've grown so fast that
I just can't believe
How much you're changing,
But you still look like me
Maybe some day,
This will all be different
But baby until then
We've got out home sweet Holiday Inn

Your daddy loves you
And I'll be dreaming of you
And counting the days until I see you again
At our home sweet Holiday Inn
At our home sweet Holiday Inn

1 comment:

Stephen said...

I understand the feeling well...spent far too many years over there, sway from the ones I loved...months at a time..to only come home to 'strangers' that stand and gaze at you with the forlorn looks in their eyes as the wife explains, that's your father. It hurts.