Thursday, September 1, 2011

Mitt Romney is a lying liar

I've been saying for a while that Mussolini could beat Obama in next year's election.  A little hyperbolic, perhaps, but Aretae says not only am I right, I didn't go far enough:
I've said it inside my family already, but may as well state it here.
Rick Perry is the next president of the USA.

Why?

1. Economics. Presidential re-election campaigns live or die on the strength of the economy. The economy sucks. It's not getting better. And Obama is about to announce another jobs "program" that doesn't involve GTFO of the way. If the economy sucks as bad as it does now in a year, the Republicans can nominate Hitler and he'd win.
[Emphasis mine]

He has more, and packed full of smart it is, too.  Blogfather JayG amplifies Aretae's item B, perhaps not as pungently as it should be.  But pungently enough:
Mitt Romney has as much in common with the Tea Party and the principles by which the Tea Party came into being as I have in common with the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence.
Yup - Jay nails it.  I'd go further, and repeat what I've said before.  While Mitt was probably as decent a Republican Governor as you're likely to see in Massachusetts, he is absolutely one of the establishment squishy quasi-liberal Northeast political types.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.

He's also a decent man, with the whole Mormon squeeky-clean thing.  I actually respect that.

What I don't respect is that Mitt thinks I'm dim enough to fall for the "I'm the only real conservative" schtick he did in 2008.  Socialized medicine and gun control aren't exactly at the top of most conservative checklists.  It was this True Conservative gloss he tried to paint over the cracks with that made me lose basic respect for him.

An honest "this was the best we could do in Massachusetts" is honorable; what he did claiming "true conservative" credentials isn't.  I'm not an conservative, and it gets way, way under my skin.

In short, he's a liar, and a really bad liar at that.  I won't vote for him, and I don't care that he has $18M in his war chest right now.  I expect there are a lot more like me.

But hey, Aretae says he's toast.  Good enough for me.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Its still early and Ron Paul has the best economic background of all of the candidates. Romney and Perry for that matter leave a lot to be desired. We have a year yet and these candidates true colors will be coming out soon including Perry's

ASM826 said...

There's two of us. It's a movement. I posted my promise not to vote for Mitt back in early June.
SORC™

Now the song is stuck in my head. "Walk right in, it's around the back, just a half a mile from the railroad track..."

TOTWTYTR said...

Chickens should never be counted before they are hatched. Remember that in 2004 the Democrats thought that any idiot could beat GW Bush. So, they went ahead and nominated an idiot named John Kerry.

A lot can happen in a year, but I think that Rick Perry stands the best chance of beating NoBrainer in 2012.

I share your distaste for Gov. Universal Health Care, but the truth is that if he's the nominee, he's getting my vote.

ASM826 said...

TOTWTYTR,

I've thought it through. I will stand aside and vote for a third party candidate if Romney is the Republican pick. If the Republicans, and the American people, can't do any better than that, they deserve to lose. If that means 4 more years of Pr. Obama and the Democrats, so be it. The Republicans need to think about what they claim to be and offer a candidate that holds to those principles. "Not as bad as the other guy" is a lousy campaign slogan, and that about all Romney's got. His 2nd Amendment record is enough to disqualify him.

Quizikle said...

2 cents worth - and I don't like my opinion:

Obama wins in 2012
Q