Sunday, September 25, 2011

BBQ Review - The Salt Lick

Photo credit: Borepatch
The Salt Lick has the reputation as offering some of the finest BBQ in the Austin area.  A wag might point out that it had better, since it's kind of in the middle of nowhere (Driftwood, TX).  Well, Nowhere is worth the drive.

It's a family run business which has expanded and expanded since the 1960s  Originally just the smoke pit, they soon added a porch for dining.  Catering followed, and they now have a vineyard.  While I didn't try the wine, I suspect that more people come for the BBQ and end up drinking the wine than the other way around.

It's Texas style BBQ, which means Brisket and Sausage, along with pork ribs and chicken.  Their sauce is mustard based which is different but very good - not sweet and not sour, it's a different experience but all around delicious.

I got the "burned" Brisket - the charred outside bits.  While drier, they have a maximum smokiness which I particularly like.  The pink smoke ring is highly visible - as you can see from the picture, this is the real BBQ deal.

The smoked sausage is good, but I suspect that when the novelty wears off, I'll just go for the brisket.  Same with the ribs - nothing wrong with them, but they make me think of Carolina style port ribs, which I prefer.

Their potatoes are probably the best I've ever had at a BBQ joint.  More like German potato salad, only not as tangy, but with a smoky hint.  I suspect that their sauce is involved, and adding more sauce just amped the flavor up.  Boy, they were good.

The Cole slaw was superior - no mayo in the dressing, but what seemed more like a vinaigrette.  I particularly liked it because it was hot today and this was a lot lighter than your typical cole slaw.

The BBQ beans were "meh", but I tend not to like them very much anyway.  Even with extra sauce, they were meh.

If you go - and you should - bring cash.  They don't take credit cards or checks.  There is an ATM there, but it dings you for $2.50.  Forewarned is forearmed.

All in all, worth the journey.  A little pricey - a bit under $40 for #1 Son and me for a plate and an iced tea each.  But the portions are generous, and we have cold brisket in the fridge for dinner now.  Win.

6 comments:

Bob said...

Here in NC the dark outer portion of the BBQ is called "outside brown" and, as you have discovered, is favored by BBQ aficionados. Mustard-based sauce is common in South Carolina, and it's readily available in the stores around here. It's great on grilled burgers, in addition to BBQ.

$40 for 2 plates of brisket is highway robbery, IMO. I can buy a pound of brisket at our local place (Q Shack) for about $12.

Borepatch said...

Bob, we were paying for the sit down experience. You can pick up BBQ much more cheaply for take home all over the place.

But this is the Yuppie brisket, for sure.

45er said...

I'm a huge fan of Salt Lick. It's been a while since I've been there. I'm with you, if I'm going to pay for BBQ here I'm going with brisket. We make our own sausage, so I almost never get that. If they have beef ribs, I'll do that too. You should check out Opie's in Spicewood. That's some good vittles, there.

Bob said...

Weeeell, Q Shack charges $9.99 for a plate of brisket and $1.60 for a 16-oz drink (free refills), total with tax comes to $24.80 for two people, and that includes free hush puppies, as well. Even if you're a generous tipper and leave a $10 tip that would come to $34,80 out of pocket.

Hopefully your portions of brisket were very generous, or made of Wagyu beef, to justify a $40 price tag. Or maybe Austin just has a higher standard of living than Charlotte does.

Borepatch said...

Bob, I wasn't exact with the numbers:

Dinner: $12.99

Ice Tea (with refils): $1.99

Net/net, $30 + tip for two. A "bit under" $40. Still pricier, but this is the Yuppie BBQ

Bob said...

Ted: I wasn't trying to be a dick about it. Probably just the Asperger's taking over. :)