Monday, August 29, 2011

Dear Wayne LaPierre

Thank you so much for having one of your people contact me.  I know that he didn't listen at all when I said that you guys need to focus less on the ZOMG-teh-UN-iz-coming-to-ban-teh-guns thing, and more on getting shall issue overruled.  I also know that he didn't listen when I said that Obama can sign any old treaty he wants, but until the Senate ratifies it, it's just a scrap of paper.  And see, the Senate won't touch this with a ten foot pole.  I know he didn't listen to that, either.

Funny, the whole experience of you trying to scare me into sending you money made me wonder if Pournelle's Iron Law of Bureaucracy is alive and well at the NRA.

Love, Borepatch

P.S. Just how many different ways do you tell people to say "Wayne LaPierre, Executive Vice President of the NRA"?  I bet if you think hard, you can come up with a couple more.  kthanxbai

5 comments:

Daddy Hawk said...

Wayne LaPierre and the rhetoric are the sole reasons I cannot and will not support the NRA. When the NRA gets rid of LaPierre and focuses on the grass roots issues without all the fear mongering, then they will have my loyalty again.

Chas S. Clifton said...

I have been sort of nostalgic about those "black helicopters are coming for your guns" NRA fund-raising letters. They take me back to ... the 1980s?

Dave H said...

I don't have a problem supporting NRA for their educational programs and such, but I don't cooperate with people trying to control me with panic. More than one salesman has lost my business because I had to buy right now to get this great price.

Also, most people making fundraising calls are hired guns. They don't care about law, politics, rights, or privileges. They just have a quota to meet, and arguing with you isn't helping them meet it.

I worked with a guy who would get calls at work from the NY Times trying to get him to subscribe. I could always tell it was one of those calls because at some point early in the conversation he'd say "Why would I want to pay money to read that subversive left-wing rag?" He'd continue to argue, firmly but never using profanity, until the caller hung up. Then he'd chuckle and say, "I win!"

Anonymous said...

Now, if someone could only get Shall Issue enacted in CA, that would be a wonderful thing.

Eagle said...

Hey BP, don't you mean "getting MAY ISSUE overruled in for of SHALL ISSUE"?