Tuesday, July 12, 2011

I don't get it

I don't really get Airsoft.  I say this as someone who's dropped hundreds of dollars into Airsoft guns.  The kids like them, at least for a while.  I tried it - even setting up an Airsoft range in my basement back at Chez Borepatch - but it didn't take.  An Airsoft 1911 simply doesn't fire like a .45 ACP 1911, and so it didn't take long before I lost interest.

Some folks are not so lucky as to live in Georgia or Texas, and so Airsoft lets them scratch an itch that I now can address in a louder way.  I do understand this, having once been a Prisoner Of Mother Massachusetts (POMM).

I can even understand re-enactments, and can appreciate the effort and time that goes into insanely great ones.

But I don't get this:


Pimpin' your Airsoft with gold spray paint.  I confess that I don't get this.  Or this:


Looks hard to draw, at least to me.

But the owner of the web site looks like he's a Prisoner Of Mother England (POME, not POMM), and so this is likely the only way he can scratch his itch.  And so let me extend the hand of friendship across the Pond: if Arnie is ever visiting Georgia or Texas, send me an email.  I'd be delighted to take you to the range.

4 comments:

Guffaw in AZ said...

AND...aren't you more likely to cross yourself using a so-called 'Cavalry' presentation?
Jus' sayin'

Raptor said...

Actually, that second pic is a screen cap from the film Face/Off starring Nicholas Cage and John Travolta, so you can blame John Woo for the ridiculous carry position.

Personally, I kinda like airsoft (kinda in that I've never actually skirmished) in that it's a heck of a lot more realistic than paintball, but I'm with you: I just don't get some of the more outrageous guns.

Tim Ellwood said...

The holster picture is a "New York reload" http://bellcharteroakholsters.com/pancakes.html
Style and it seems, very popular with the Hollywood folk. I would be afraid of spine damage if I ever fell down!
Now to airsoft, I understand not "getting" it. I was partners in the 1st company to bring them to the US in Bulk and spent Shot show 1987,
http://noairsoftforoldmen.blogspot.com/2011/02/blast-from-past-shot-show-1986-with.html
explaining them.
They were developed in Japan, were owning a real gun is tantamount to us trying to own a BLU82. When ever you tell a person they can't have something, they want it even more, as you know. They fill certain niches in the US, being able to have full auto replicas that shoot ( M-76, MAC 10, HK and the like), being able to shoot in a back yard or garage with a trainer that mimic's most of the action of a "real steel" gun ( less the recoil, noise) and just collecting guns that you cant get or afford ( GE-134) if the were real. In reality, they do everything a real gun does, right up till you pull the trigger, they just don't kill.
They are being used for force on force training in the LE and military arenas, Top IPSC shooters use them for trigger control practice along with 15,000 or so people every weekend "skirmishing" every weekend across the globe.
My initial interest in them came from wanting to own a Walther MPK and not being able to find one, after I acquired an airsoft version, I thought there might be others like me, and there was. leaving that industry and entering the firearms side in 1990 I have since worked for S&W, dist's and ran and owned gun shops, but still keep a few hundred airsoft guns around, just for fun I guess!
Great Blog,by the way.
Thanks for reading this long, drawn out ramble.

Isegoria said...

Airsoft makes plenty of sense for training shooting on the move, transitions, etc., when you need some objective feedback about your performance beyond your own ability to call your shots while dry-firing.

And it lets you do force-on-force training — something I do not advise with .45 ACP.

Pimping your airsoft gun, on the other hand, doesn't make much sense to me — but I never really understood pimping your real gun, either.