Friday, April 29, 2011

Rifle training at the pistol range

We like our shooting range, but as with most indoor places, the maximum distance for the target in each lane is 25 yards.  That's more than plenty for pistol training (at least for me), but doesn't really allow much for rifle practice.  At least, I've always found rifle shooting at 25 yards to be unsatisfying.  Easy, sure.  But where's the challenge in that?

Well, High School geometry tells us that there are two ways to bite off this problem.  One is to increase the distance to the target, which isn't an option.  The second is to reduce the size of the target, to simulate what a full sized one would look like at distance.

And so I picked up some reduced size NRA targets at the gun show.  The target contains five bullseye rings, each about 3 inches in diameter.  They're designed for practice at five yards, with a .22 rifle.

Five yards?  I skoffed.  Well, I'll try it once before putting it back to something more challenging, like 25 years.

The target never got past five yards.  It was hard.  The bullseyes are really small, so even small variations from breathing or whatever throw the bullet way out in to 7-ring (or 6, or 5) land.



I taped a penny to the target - you can see it above my thumb - for scale.  This was quite a good challenge, and I plan on doing much more of this.


I think that these reduced bullseyes are supposed to simulate regular targets at 50 yards, so moving them out to 20 yards would simulate 200 yard shots.  There's a whole world of challenge in that.

12 comments:

North said...

I have piles of PDF targets if you are interested. And the ability to create graphics...

Last time I was at the range I just stuck little adhesive targets onto plain cardstock. Just the 9 and 10 ring 2" across at 50 feet.

Joe said...

I learned how to shoot a rifle on a target similar to this as a kid.

We used to shoot an air rifle at 5 yards (later 5 meters) in four positions, prone, sitting, kneeling and standing. Each position you would shoot 10 targets for a total of a 100 points in each position. If you wanted to be competitive you had to shoot about 392 or better.

NotClauswitz said...

We shoot reduced targets at 200 yards to simulate 600 yards! :-) But that's tough work, even for good eyes.

Anonymous said...

Interesting. I'd love to see how that works out with bigger rifle calibers, windage and all that. Or does that sort of thing not come into play at ranges below about 400 yards?

Check your email, BP. Sorry 'bout the delay!

doubletrouble said...

That is 'zackly how Appleseed trains. Go to their site, & you can get AQT targets sized to simulate varying distances. Their "quick 'n dirty" targets have 100 thru 400 yard targets on one sheet of paper, & it's kinda fun to work. They also show you how to calculate MOA at the shorter range.
All at 25 meters; close enough.

Borepatch said...

North, you should post them (with proper attribution, of course). This would be a big service to a Grateful Interw3bz.

Joe, I went from Daisy to .22 quite a while ago. Tonight at the range, a couple Dads brough ttheir (10 year old?) kids in to shoot .22s. This seems to me to be the Way Of The World.

DirtCrashr, my eyes are getting bad - not terrible, but I REALLY wouldn't want to shoot iron sights at 600 yards. 200, maybe.

Pistolero, bigger calibers would make holes that crossed three rings. ;-)

Doubletrouble, I need to get off my lazy butt and get into that.

Hat Trick said...

Try the Appleseed and also ask if they have a indoor 50ft smallbore league. You'll need a very accurate rifle to be able to shoot a clean target (all tens) on those. It takes some physical conditioning and flexibility to shoot all four positions. We have a competitive silhouette shooter who is about your age who cleans up shooting all the targets offhand standing. He says his knees are too old to get into the other positions.

ASM826 said...

Great way to get practice and build skills! I am rediscovering my love of small bore since the CMP brought out the .22 sporter matches.

This looks like a way for gunbloggers to hold a sort of modern postal match. North picks us a target and posts it. Borepatch picks the distance, since he is most limited. .22 rifles, shoot what ya' got. Now, are we off-hand, prone, seated at the bench?

We all get a time frame (2 weeks, maybe) to get out and shoot. Post it and we can all blog about what we learn.

Borepatch said...

Ooooh, ASM826 FTW!

Keads said...

Ready to Go!

Shy Wolf said...

FWIW, if you want to see the Appleseed 'Redcoat' targets, you can order them thru www.fredsm14stocks.com . Get a bundle of... well, lots, for a few bucks.
BP, count me in with ASM's idea- I downloaded the target he suggests.
Now, can I have a couple years to practice? ;)

Shy Wolf said...

oh- and 25 yards/85 feet/1K inch range works fine for me.