Saturday, October 16, 2010

The Osborne Brothers - Each Season Changes You

Sometimes there's no school like the Old School.  Especially when you're talking Bluegrass.

The Osborne Brothers were one of the most popular bluegrass groups in the 1950s through the 1970s.  Like many of the bluegrass greats, they weren't southern, hailing from Dayton Ohio (Alison Krauss is from Illinois).  That didn't stop them from becoming one of the top groups.  Rocky Top is perhaps their best known song - it sold 85,000 copies in the first two weeks after it was released in 1967, and has been recorded perhaps a hundred times.  They are maybe the only group to have two songs that have become official state songs (Rocky Top in Tennessee is joined by Kentucky in, well, Kentucky).

But this song is seasonally appropriate.  Looking out my window at the leaves changing color, and looking at our upcoming move south to Atlanta, the theme of change is particularly poignant.



Each Season Changes You (Songwriter: Ruth Talley)
Like the weather your heart changes with each season
Springtime summer fall and winter too
Though I know I'll never understand the reason
I still wonder why each season changes you.

It was springtime when I found you like the flowers
And our love grew warmer with the summer sun
In the fall I could see our love was changing
It broke my heart to see what wintertime had done.

Like the weather your heart changes with each season
Springtime summer fall and winter too
Though I know I'll never understand the reason
I still wonder why each season changes you.

Came the spring again you said that you were sorry
And the summer brought a golden memory
In the fall again I saw your love was changing
And the winter brought the same old misery.

Like the weather your heart changes with each season
Springtime summer fall and winter too
Though I know I'll never understand the reason
I still wonder why each season changes you...

5 comments:

Broken Andy said...

Having lived in Atlanta for 10 years and southern Georgia before that, get use to the two seasons of the year: "hot" and "a little chilly". And forget about leaves changing color. Your choices will be kudzu and pine needles.

Don't get me wrong... I love the north Georgia mountains, but the color and changing thereof is completely different.

Scott McCray said...

Man, that brings the memories rushing back - we'll have to do this once again at our next "pickin' party". One of my Dad's favorites - mine, too.

Are you familiar with Jim & Jesse? Another of my favorites...

Borepatch said...

Scott, I'm not familiar with that song. I hadn't heard about the group (shame on me!) until one of their songs got played on an oldies station.

Scott McCray said...

We used to go see them two or three times a year back in the day - good times.

Scott McCray said...

I just realized you may have thought I was talking about a song title - Jim & Jesse McReynolds were brothers that had a bluegrass group - their backing band the Virginia Boys has had some pretty major pickers as members through the years. Jim died in 2002 - but Jesse still performs. Worth a look-see on YouTube...