Saturday, September 25, 2010

On why I love Canadians

The Supersonic Reflectoscope emailed me about a post I did a while back about how the Quebec.Gov wouldn't help a lady get her baby out of a locked car.  He pointed out (fairly, IMHO), that I had tarred the entire nation with a rather broad brush, when I had intended to just tar (and feather) the Quebec.Gov.  He's right.

I've been meaning to post on this for a while (sorry, Jim!), but figured that if I just waited long enough, the Canadian People would show the world why they're just about the nicest folks around.  And they did.

Blake McGinness is a young Canadian boy, whose father tragically passed away when he was nine years old.  Once the estate was settled, there wasn't any money for McGinness père's headstone.  On the first anniversary of his father's death, young Master McGinness declared to the world that he would sell his toys to buy a headstone for his Dad:
An equal number, from Bay Street brokers to big-city police officers to hardened residents of New York City, just said they had tears running down their face as they read Blake's story and the short letter the young man published in The Whig on the anniversary of his father’s death, telling his dad how much he missed him and how he always says good-night to him before he goes to bed each evening and how he hopes his father can hear him. 

Donations poured from across the country, and a headstone for Mr. McGinness is being fabricated as you read this.  His college fund is collecting donations, if you've a mind: Contact the Royal Bank of Canada, transit number 02402, account number 5030473.

But that's not why I'm posting.  This is why: young Master McGinness still plans to sell his toys and give the money to charity.

To Master McGinness, you are a credit to your Country, a credit to your family, and (while it is not my place to say), I expect your Dad would be terribly proud of you.  With young people like you, Canada's future will be bright.

That's why I love Canadians.  For every idiot in the Quebec.Gov, you have a citizen like Blake McGinness with a heart as big as teh Northwest Terretories.

Hat tip: A Large Regular.

No comments: