Thursday, July 8, 2010

Won't take nothin' but a memory

ASM826 is country music blogging, and has a doozy. If that's your bag, baby, you'll want to stop by, and listen, and remember.


That's the house where I grew up in the early 1960s. The bedroom I shared with Older Brother is the top windows - I still remember being mad when Mom sent me to take a nap one day; the grave of our puppy is off to the left, behind the garage. #2 Son took the photo. This house is where this photo was taken:


The past is a land far, far away. But the right song - by an exceptionally talented young lady - transports us there in our mind. It's worth the trip.

UPDATE 8 July 2010 17:32: Here's what the house looked like in 1964.


That was a land far, far away. But this journey was worth it.

4 comments:

David said...

Is that your Dad with the dark-rimmed glasses?

Striking resemblance to Christopher Walken ... seriously.

Great pictures! They're too rare, I think. Amazing that our children may very well end up with tens of thousands of digital photos of their folks. Providing Mom & Dad don't just store them on their e-Machine hard drive without any backup to speak of!

NotClauswitz said...

The book I'm helping my Mom finish (with pictures/scanner/graphics) that she wrote about Our Ancestors, is really about this house in Sweden - Kvarntorpet - since that's how they recorded the census, who and how many lived and died there...

Borepatch said...

David, yes, Dad's the one in the horn rim glasses. I'm in the middle, and Older Brother is on the right.

And backups are like CCW guns: "Two is one, and one is none."

ASM826 said...

Okay, I was going to let it go, but I echoed this post with one of my own. Digging through a box of pictures at 23:45 so I can scan a picture of a house, not sure what that says...