Friday, July 30, 2010

A $5 Million wedding?

The sum which two married people owe to one another defies calculation. It is an infinite debt, which can only be discharged through all eternity.
- Goethe
I hear that Chelsea Clinton is getting married, and wish her all happiness.

Long time readers are waiting for the "but", the part where I snark. I won't for a second snark on Miss Clinton's hopes or chances for happiness. If anyone in the public eye deserves someone who will cherish her, she's the one, and it's fervently to be hoped for.

But.

If I were to be the father of the bride, and were to spend $5 Million on a wedding ceremony, I'd want sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their frickin' heads.

Well, I would.



No word if Miss Clinton's wedding dinner features sea bass ...

3 comments:

Mike Golch said...

$5 mil? boy it must be nice to have money to burn.Oh yep it theie great retirement pay that a former president gets for life.On our nickle.

Home on the Range said...

We had the reception at my house, I did the catering, friends decorated as gifts.

Total cost for the whole shebang, probably $600 including the dress. (mid 80's)

We listed for gifts at the home improvement store. Who needs another butter dish.

I rather doubt I'll get married again as every man I know has said "I will NEVER marry, not even you", but I'd do it the same way again (except not waste the money on the damn dress).

Sabra said...

Actually, I think most of the Clintons' money comes from speaking engagements and book deals. Billy-boy pulls six figures a speech, last I heard. I'm sure they can afford $5M for the wedding. I think I'd have a hard time spending a fraction of that.

My last wedding cost...You know I'm not entirely sure. Well under a thousand, anyhow. My dress was the most expensive part, at about $79--I made sure this time to get something I can wear again. Some time when I'm not hugely pregnant, anyway. The license cost $62 or $63, and I reckon that other than that, the gasoline was the most expensive thing. I'd be really surprised if the whole thing cost $350. But then, we were making sport of seeing how little money we could spend, so there you are.