Thursday, June 17, 2010

iPod use FAIL

JayG tagged me on Facebook for an iPod exercise, basically seeing what shows up when you page through your playlist (pressing "Next" when in shuffle mode). Here's the problem: I don't have any music on my iPhone. And I can't find my iPod (one of the kids had it a year or two ago, and I don't know where it is).

The reason is that I run Ubuntu, and there's no way to sync the iPhone to it (well, now with Ubuntu 10.04 there is; I just haven't upgraded yet). I have a Mac laptop now that I'm at the new job, but it can't see my network drive, so I haven't downloaded my music. When it's a bit less busy, I'll get to it.

What's strange is that I get along just fine without an iPod or equivalent. I don't know if this is a Bad Thing for Apple or not, but I've been without their musical goodness for years now and simply don't miss it. I think that I bought 8 or 10 songs from iTunes a long time ago - so long ago that they didn't play even when I had an iPod, because they only gave you 5 authorizations for computers. With re-imaging on the Big Tech Company laptops, computer refreshes, etc, the DRM got to where I couldn't play them. I'm told that Apple can probably reset this for me, but it's not worth the bother.

It's funny, but I don't think of myself as a luddite, but I just don't miss not having this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

iPod?
I have an iPot! Couple of them!
iPod?
Is it like my iPot?

Luddite? Is that one of them there strange religions against technology?
Well I do have a record player! And my tapedeck!! With my bigassed amp and floor speakers!!
SO there!!
Marantz baby!!
iPod....hhmmmppfff...