Sunday, April 18, 2010

Last Jump

Rest in peace, and thank you:
PHILADELPHIA John "Jack" Agnew, one of the original members of a U.S. Army unit that operated behind enemy lines in World War II and is often credited with having loosely inspired the movie "The Dirty Dozen," has died at age 88.

Agnew belonged to the Filthy Thirteen, an unofficial unit within the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division.

...

Tales of the unit's exploits and a Stars and Stripes military newspaper photograph are said to have inspired "The Dirty Dozen," not because any of the unit's members were convicts like the movie's characters — they weren't — but because of their reputation for brawling, drinking and spending time in the stockade.

...

"Dad, when we were little kids, he'd always say, 'I won the war; I know you don't believe me, but someday you'll know,'" [his daughter] said. "We didn't really realize it until the 'Band of Brothers' came out."
It's fashionable these days to say that we no longer have men of this caliber. I don't agree, but am grateful indeed that we had men like this when the need was greatest.

Requiescat in pace.

(via Stormbringer)

3 comments:

Paladin said...

Indeed.

I look in the eyes of men like this and they have a look of assuredness and competence that steadies me. They truly were the Greatest Generation - because they had the (redacted) to do what needed doing. Both at home and over there.

I'm glad you posted this, as well as the link back to the "Door to Door" book review. I had made a note to myself to pick that one up after reading your thoughts on it - and then promptly forgot all about it. I'm adding it to my book list to pick up this week.

Paladin said...

... and of course it will be infinitely more helpful to me finding said book, if I can manage to get the title correct :)

I'd blame it on age, but this really isn't anything new to me.

Borepatch said...

I'd blame it on age, but this really isn't anything new to me.

I'm with ya, brother.