But that got me thinking. Rather than taking the Gun-blogosphere equivalent of a Cosmopolitan quiz, why not just describe things as they are. If I were a gun, which would I be? And it was pretty easy: I am an M1 Garand.
- I'm obsolete, but offer virtues that aren't taught much these days.
- While I'm not heavy and clumsy, I'm not as portable as some of the young folk.
- Like today's military tactics of fire superiority via rapid but not particularly well aimed automatic fire, today's Internet Age seems to put a premium on quick tweets, throw-away Facebook wall scribbles, and other "quick draw" information flow. Like the old way of methodical aimed rifle marksmanship, I strive for arguments that are carefully composed to hit their target.
- As with the rifle range, this doesn't always work.
- While I don't have a bayonet lug, people sometimes have to be careful when "reloading" me, or I'll bite back.
- I take pride in doing things that not everyone can, and of being a bit of an anachronistic throw-back.
- It's not always easy to keep me clean, but I strive to be considered reliable.