Saturday, April 24, 2010

Flying radio controlled B-29 and Bell X-1 models



Wow, I need a better tag than insanely cool for this. A scale model of the B-29 Superfortress carrying a scale model of the Bell X-1 rocket plane is teh awesome. I liked the part (about a minute into the video) when the B-29 throttles were firewalled for takeoff, and the chuff-chuff-chuff turned into a propeller roar, even at 1:20 scale (or whatever it was).

It's also fun when the X-1's engine lights up. I do have to say that the low-level inverted flyover by the B-29 didn't quite strike me as realistic. If the Big Bird could actually do that, it would have sure been something to see.

Hat tip: Theo Spark.

4 comments:

Home on the Range said...

Cool. Flying RC is harder than it looks. I thought "piece of cake", but the reversal of the controls as it came back towards you always throws me.

That and the fact that the first one I built when I was about 10 I painted light blue. Yup. No stickers, no stripes of a dark color for contrast. Nothing. Light blue.

It takes off. It's one of those tiny things with only a servo or two. It's not big to start with. Did I mention some idiot painted it light blue?

"hmmmmmmmmmmmmm". Off it goes. I can't see it. "hmmmmmmmmmm" Where . . . . IS. . . .it?

"hhhhhmmmmHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMSPLAT!". Oh, there it is.

Probably had something to do with later career choices.

SiGraybeard said...

You're right. Beyond insanely cool. Video Pr0n comes to mind.

Not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if the original 29 could fly inverted. The forces aren't all that different.

scotaku said...

As I watched this I said to my wife, "Why don't I have a hobby like this?"

She watched a little longer and said, "That's not a hobby, that's a career. Also, you'd have to go outside."

Still, though, it'd be fantastic.

Anonymous said...

Takes some parts to deliberately spin something that big!

(The only part of this that bugs me is the fact that now I feel obliged to build a B-52 big enough for turbines, and an X-15 big enough for a liquid-fuelled motor. I and my army, anyway...)

Jim