Thursday, August 6, 2009

Hot singles are living with you!

The only problem was that the face on the screen was Peter's wife.

No, she wasn't running around on him; she was taking quizzes on Facebook, and some marketing company had reserved the right to use her image:

A brief investigation uncovered this uncomfortable truth: Cheryl Smith's picture had been swooped up by a company advertising with the social media giant and used to generate an advertisement. She had no idea her image could be used that way, and until her husband spotted the ad, she was unaware that she'd become a model for an online dating company.

"Fortunately, he has a sense of humor. Otherwise it could have played out very differently," Smith, 44, said.
Good thing she married a man with a sense of humor.

I know that some of y'all like to play on Facebook. Just know that all your info are belong to Facebook marketroids.

Hat tip: Emergent Chaos.

4 comments:

Jay G said...

Something tells me I have little to fear that Facebook will use any of my pictures...

TOTWTYTR said...

Well, at least not until the Halloween marketing season starts, Jay. ;)

Seriously, just another reason I dropped FB. Although I also know that they keep my account, and all of it's information, alive and in hibernation in case I decided to return.

Fat chance.

Anonymous said...

Here's how to adjust your privacy settings to minimize this from happening. http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/07/16/facebook-sez-dont-mind-us-were-just-whoring-out-your-photos/

The problem is mainly with 3rd party apps, not with FB itself. They are already breaking FB's TOS and are not honoring FB's privacy settings. If you're worried, best bet is just steer clear of all those quizzes and send a drink/gun/ham sammich type apps.

Home on the Range said...

I don't do Facebook. I could only imagine the website they'd find for my picture to promote something or other.

"get your degree in forensic pathology. All ON LINE!" (the autopsy would be interesting).

Seriously, that was a real ad out there.