Thursday, July 2, 2009

Hey all you 1911 CCW folks

Eric Raymond has had a death threat, and would like your advice on a 1911 pistol he should use for self defense:
Therefore I’m soliciting information on 1911-pattern carry guns. The search specification is this: 1911-pattern .45 with a three-inch barrel, optimized for concealed carry with as few projecting parts to snag clothing as possible. I know of one weapon fitting this spec, the Kimber Ultra II Carry. I’m interested in pointers to functionally similar weapons, reviews, personal experiences, and recommendations. I will entertain offers of sale and would not turn up my nose at used guns in good condition.
I'm a couple days late to the party, but know that some of you are pretty hip to the 1911-pattern. If you have any ideas, leave him a comment.

UPDATE 2 July 2009 15:03: Wow, tons of great comments on people's experiences. While I love the feedback, my request is if you follow the link to Eric's place and leave him a comment. He's in the market for one, and sounds like he needs it.

You should also check out his other stuff - I find quite a lot of interesting posts there.

UPDATE 2 July 2009 19:31: Added the link to Eric's place. Going senile I am.

10 comments:

Bob said...

Check Xavier's blog, he loves 1911's and CCW's them regularly:

http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/

none said...

I've had good luck with the kimbers and Charles Daly

Divemedic said...

I am currently carrying an Ultra Carry II. The Para Wart Hog looks OK, too- if you have big hands.

Anonymous said...

I have carried a Kimber Compact Aluminum for a number of years now and shot it regularly. Absolutely dependable and quite accurate for a 4" barrel.

doubletrouble said...

Where IS the "like" to his place?

Z@X said...

I'm kinda edging into old age territory so my eyes are not very good, and I'm was never too bright to beging with. I don't see a link to Eric Raymond's site (it may not show on my IE8 browser) and the name does not ring a bell. I don't have any advice for him, but it looks like it would be an interesting thread to peek at.

NotClauswitz said...

I wish I had something to offer but I don't carry and my .45 is an old '43 Government model...

ASM826 said...

If you ever have to use a weapon in self defense, it will be taken by the police. It's a coin toss, even if you prevail in court, that you'll get it back. Even if you do, it will not have been cared for while it was away.
For that reason, guns I like and care about are not on the carry list. Buy a Glock, or a Springfield XD, something with a hard finish that will survive the (at best) neglect it's going to suffer. I shoot mine in practice. They are completely reliable, and if I had to replace one, the local shop has one just like it in the case.

My 1911s are used in Single Stack competition and shot for the joy of using such a fine tool. Also very reliable, but I have a lot invested to ever have to give them up.

Albert A Rasch said...

Look,

Stop dilly-dallying, walk, no run, to the nearest gunshops, handle as many 1911 as you can, get one that meets your needs and fits you well, that is already throated and ported, buy three extra magazines, by a couple of boxes of ball ammo, and a box of defensive rounds.

Go to the range and work through the ball getting your technique squared away.

DON'T wait!

ALbert

Eric said...

Albert, you can relax a little; I'm carrying a Glock 23, which is quiter a serviceable weapon. So I can shop around a bit without being unarmed in the meantime.