Tuesday, June 2, 2009

1918 Small Arms Instruction Manual

I love old books, and I love old military rifles, so this was a natural: The US Army "Small arms instructors manual. 234 pages from a digitized time capsule, courtesy of the University of California and the Internet Archive.


Sections include:
  • Official "C special course
  • U.S. rifle, model 1917
  • U.S. rifle, model 1903 (Springfield)
  • U.S. rifle, model 1898 (Kraag)
  • Automatic pistol, model 1911
  • Revolvers, cal's. .45 and .38
  • Official firing courses
  • Designation of targets
  • Fire direction and control
  • Use of cover
Downloadable in PDF (black and white, or color), ASCII text (hello, e-book ...), and Flip Book.


I haven't had this much fun with an old mil book since I found that 1914 edition of Jane's Fighting Ships at State U's library.

4 comments:

Bob said...

One of my hobbies is collecting old US Navy Bluejacket's Manuals (it's the US Navy sailor's handbook).

NotClauswitz said...

I had to download it, just for the Krag section!

Rangerider said...

Hi Mr. And Mrs. Borepatch,
Better late than never. Congratulations on your anniversary. I know you from Brigid's Blog. I am Rangerider.

Borepatch said...

Bob, I hope you post a pic of some of the more interesting ones.

DirtCrashr, I think I found this by looking for Krag info. Kind of a Mother Lode, though.

Rangerider, thanks. I married a saint - it sure isn't my magnetic personality, if you know what I mean. ;-)