Friday, May 22, 2009

Whale Cam

I'm channeling my inner Blackfork, or perhaps my inner Weer'd Beard, but this is simply insanely cool. Sperm whales caught on camera stealing cod from fishermen's lines.The fishermen don't think it's so cool, though. That's real money disappearing down the gullet, and there aren't many fishermen that can aford the loss. They knew there was something up with the whales, and invited the Scripts Institute of Oceanography to record what was happening.

The whales gently grab the line in their mouths and jiggle it. The fish are jarred loose, and the whale has its snack. If you watch the video, the clicking that you'll hear is the whale's echo location sonar.

Now I just have to channel my inner Brigid and come up with a recipe for bacon-wrapped whale.

Mmmm ... whale! And there are probably some fishermen in Alaska who might like to try it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

heh heh.

he said "sperm"...

heh.