Saturday, May 9, 2009

Carrie Underwood - Don't Forget To Remember Me

I was lucky growing up in that I never felt the need to rebel against my parents. We were more than just parent or child, we were friends.

Tomorrow is Mother's Day, and Country music does songs about Mom like nobody else. Sure, there are the songs about bad boys and rebellion, or about making poor choices out of foolish pride, but there's an appreciation of family that you don't find anywhere else.

Carrie Underwood exploded onto the music scene when she won season 4 of American Idol. Her debut album Some Hearts is already seven times platinum, and is the fastest selling debut country album, ever.

Don't Forget To Remember Me is my favorite song on that album. I'm not alone - this was one of the four #1 songs on that album. It captures the bittersweet part that every parent goes though as their little baby grows up and leaves home.



Don't Forget To Remember Me (Songwriters: Morgan Hayes, Kelley Lovelace, Ashley Gorley)
18 years had come and gone
For momma they flew by
But for me they drug on and on
We were loading up that Chevy
Both tryin' not to cry
Momma kept on talking
Putting off good-bye
Then she took my hand and said
"Baby don't forget:

Before you hit the highway
You better stop for gas
And there's a 50 in the ashtray
In case you run short on cash
Here's a map and here's a Bible
If you ever lose your way

Just one more thing before you leave
Don't forget to remember me"

This downtown apartment sure makes me miss home
and those bills there on the counter
Keep telling me I'm on my own
And just like every Sunday I called momma up last night
And even when it's not, I tell her everything's all right
Before we hung up I said
"Hey momma, don't forget:

to tell my baby sister I'll see her in the fall
And tell me-maw that I miss her
Yeah, I should give her a call
And make sure you tell Daddy that I'm still his little girl
Yeah I still feel like I'm where I'm supposed to be
Don't forget to remember me"

Tonight I find myself kneeling by the bed to pray
I haven't done this in a while
So I don't know what to say but
Lord, I feel so small sometimes in this big ol' place
Yeah, I know theres more important things, but
Don't forget to remember me

Don't forget to remember me
Happy Mother's day to all the Moms out there.

No comments: